You’re not going to like it, but it’s time to forget whatever diet you were thinking about trying. Whatever the latest cure-all diet may be – celery juice, keto, juice cleanse, whole30 – the only thing that all nutritionists and scientists agree on is that the more plants you eat, the better you will feel.
It’s not a panacea.
It’s not going to get you gainz.
It’s not going to make anyone rich.
But, multiple studies have shown that it can significantly improve our health now and in the future.
The famed mediterranean diet beloved by dieticians can be boiled down to one thing which is consistent with all the blue zones* of the world. Eating a diverse range, and colours of fruits and vegetables makes people live longer, better lives.
In the UK we’re facing a health crisis as lifestyle diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, obesity are widespread. Eating more plants (800g = 10 portions) a day has been shown to reduce the risk of heart disease by 25%, cancer by 13% and stroke by 33%. And yet, only 25% of us even get our 5 a day.
An analysis of 95 global studies (link below) established that eating 800g of plants a day (10 portions) can reduce the overall risk of dying prematurely by 31%.
This adds up to an estimated 7.8 million premature deaths that could be prevented by eating more plants every day.
We’re not here to preach. We get it. Life is hectic and the food industry has facilitated our crazy lifestyles with convenient products, but at the expense of our health. We know you know you should eat more whole, natural foods, but don’t have the time.
That’s why we created the plantshake – individually portioned, organic, freeze dried fruit & vegetables shakes. No juice, no preservatives, no chemicals, no equipment, no cutting corners. We wanted to create something that was the closest thing to nature, that could be made wherever, whenever in less than 1 minute.
Our Top Tips for getting more plants in:
- Drink greens for breakfast (make sure you get the fibre so remember – blend don’t juice).
- Prep a week of filling and healthy lunches and take one to work every day e.g veggie curries.
- Batch cook rice or quinoa and mix and match with different veggies every day.
- Pimp your plantshake with some extra veggies or banana to make a smoothie bowl.
- Go for carrot not crisps with your dip.
- Cook from scratch – the veggies in your spag bol are just as valuable as the spirulina in your smoothie.
- Grate carrot, beetroot, sweet potato and make a healthy hash for brunch instead of toast.
Phoebe & Ollie
Imperial, 2017 “Fruit and vegetable intake and the risk of cardiovascular disease, total cancer and all-cause mortality—a systematic review and dose-response meta-analysis of prospective studies” https://academic.oup.com/ije/article/46/3/1029/3039477
*blue zones are areas in the world that have the highest concentration of centenarians. Google it.